Monday, February 6, 2017

Burnt Offerings (1976)

Wonderful Haunted House Chiller

I was 4 years old when this came out... I think I first saw this one  3 to 5 years after it was released, something like that. I remember this one chilled me to the bone at that time and when I was a teen I saw it a handful of times when they decided to show it on TV (which wasn't very often). I finally obtained this classic - added it to my collection - and I've got to say it is still one of the great haunted house  movies on the market. I watched it again and it still gave me the chills.
   
Some viewers say they didn't like David (Lee Montgomery's character) and I have to say at times they had him acting bratty BUT one has to remember David is being effected just like the others - all of their personalities started changing (David included).

I won't say much anything about the plot, you can read that for yourself, but I'll say the what you read does not do this film justice. It's more than a haunted house film - this one goes deep into the psyche of the characters and for the viewers.

It is slow subtle horror, one of those that keeps building up to a smashing ending... all is concluded tidy.

9/10


No comments:

Post a Comment