Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Overland Mail (1942)

Surprisingly Good Western Serial


I expected far less when I started watching this serial. Ya know, a typical and rather boring western with a few good scenes - basically I expected just so-so. Well to my surprise this was really good, very entertaining and a story that is interesting. The story took a few twists and turn that were unexpected. There's plenty of action and adventure to see as well.

I got this for Lon Chaney Jr alone. BUT after watching it I found I like the entire cast and the characters they played. It's hard not to like Jim Lane (Chaney) and his two buddies Sierra Pete (Beery Jr) and Buckskin Billy Burke (Terry). These three alone could have had a TV series easily because they are interesting and fun characters. I also liked Barbara Gilbert (Parrish) she showed them she was one tough cookie. :)

Overall a really fun and good western serial that not only fans of Lon Chaney Jr should enjoy but a film for fans of classic westerns.

9/10



No comments:

Post a Comment