Friday, December 19, 2014

And Now the Screaming Starts! (1973)

A Good  Gothic Ghost Story (Minus The Zombie Hand)


The film is based on the novel Fengriffen by David Case. I liked all of the film (I never read the novel). I just wish it was a pure ghost story and the the zombified crawling hand was left out of it - otherwise a good (zombie-ghost hand) ghost story.

I would say in a roundabout way, this film is sorta The Crawling Hand (1963), meets Rosemary's Baby (1968) meets any good ghost story lol. I would have left the idea of a creeping hand to the 1963 film The Crawling Hand. BUT towards the end of the film I can understand why it is in the film - it is sorta important to the film but really did not have to be a part of it.

To me, the most horrifying thing that happens in this film is that two innocent women (both virgins) are raped and both bore a child by their rapist. This is creepier than any zombie hand or ghost.

I LOVE the sets, costuming, casting, and overall look and general atmosphere of the film... very beautifully created.

My only real beef is that zombified ghost hand...  I can tolerate it because the rest of the film is pretty good.

8/10


No comments:

Post a Comment