Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Lord of the Rings (1978)

Underrated Animated Classic


This movie is not directly a sequel to the Rankin/Bass 1977 TV movie The Hobbit but among fans, including myself, it is the second film in the series (it's just not officially the sequel).

I was about 6 years old when I saw this TV movie. I can still recall being excited and engrossed in the story. It is a captivating film although it is by no means perfect. I can still enjoy this classic today. There is no comedy in this flick even though it is a cartoon - it really is a mature film that adults can enjoy. 

Watching the film all these years later: the animation is gorgeously dark and vivid & the storytelling is superb! The is a delicious mixture of animated  live action  along with the actual hand-drawn animation - well done! No wonder this film stood out in my childhood memories!

This is well worth watching if you are a fan of the books, Peter Jackson's film series or the old TV movie The Hobbit.

9.5/10



No comments:

Post a Comment