Monday, June 23, 2014

Witchfinder General (1968)

Worth watching!




I've seen bits and pieces of this film before - vague memories of seeing it years ago. Tonight I was able to re-view the uncut version of the film... I have to say it is one of Vincent Prices best films - in fact, maybe for the entire cast! Richard and Sara's romance is the stuff fairy-tales are made of - the kind of romantic relationship I dream of having. Although the movie is not a romance film - Richard and Sara's relationship is one if the focuses of the movie.

Price portrays Matthew Hopkins very well - he's vicious, wicked and down right nasty.

The story is well written and easy to follow. Some of the scenes in the movie are hard to watch: realistic rape, torture and general brutality so well filmed that it's hard not to take your eyes off the screen.

Impeccable costuming, settings and scenery. This is yet another movie I felt I was drawn back to medieval times.

9.5/10

IMDb: Witchfinder General (1968)

No comments:

Post a Comment