Monday, November 20, 2023

Spartacus (1960)

 

A Superb Classic Epic

One of the greatest epic historical dramas I've ever seen. I grew up with this film and years later I bought the DVD and recently rewatched it. I believe I enjoy the film much better as an adult because I understand what is going on in a much deeper way than when I was young.

Stellar cast: Kirk Douglas, Charles Laughton, Tony Curtis, Laurence Olivier, Jean Simmons - to name a few.

Directing by Stanley Kubrick, top cinematography, and the costumes and set designs are eye-candy.

This film is based on real life events and a real life man called Spartacus. Though not 100% in the end, the movie does a wonderful job of telling us what happened.

For those that do not know: The real Spartacus wasn't crucified; he died in battle but around 6,000 of his followers were captured and they were crucified. The rest of the followers died in battle defending their right to freedom.

Highly recommended film!

9/10

Spartacus (1960)


No comments:

Post a Comment