Sunday, February 5, 2017

The Spiral Staircase (1946)

The Lame Staircase
Good and bad with this one for me. The good: cinematography was fine, atmosphere was good (love the thunderstorm, fireplaces and candles) and that's about it.  The bad: everything else. I did not like our overly melodramatic mute Helen, nor was I crazy about the other characters. The story? Well, it's rather boring for a psychological mystery-thriller. I did not like the lame comedy they added here and there, especially at the beginning of the film - it really distracted from been a deep, dark and serious film as it's made out to be.

What really irked me the most was when Helen tried to call someone (the doctor) and she couldn't speak to the person on the other end... why beat the phone's hearing piece against the rest of the phone and get mad about it because the person on the other end hung up? She knew she couldn't speak at that time - knowing that no one could hear her even try, she's a mute (her psychological condition causing it). This really made the character look extra dingy to me.

I also couldn't get past how sad and pitiful the character Helen is portrayed - like she feels sorry for herself all the time. Yes she can speak - just a psychological condition that needed a good fright to get her talking again.  Sorry but it irks me.

5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment