Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The Tomb of Ligeia (1964)

A Strangely Good Poe Adaption


This movie is strangely good... something about it I liked quite a bit. There was very little about it I did not like.

Lady Rowena (Shepherd) in the beginning of the film seemed a bit to pushy to me. She takes off Verden Fell's (Price) glasses as he carries her and she knows why he wears them for he has already told her. I know she liked him when she first saw him but she did push herself to him quite hard I felt. This I did not like about her. BUT Verden Fell did blatantly tell Lady Rowena that she knew nothing about willpower. He is right - she knew how to be pushy but not anything about willpower. Lady Rowena in the beginning of the film did not exert self-control instead basically flung herself at Verden.

From Dictionary.com:
Pushy - obnoxiously forward or self-assertive.
Willpower - the ability to control oneself and determine one's actions.

Now later on, I began to like Lady Rowena a felt sorry for her - she did fall in love with Verden (maybe why she acted a bit silly with him in the beginning - love at first sight?). The things she went threw I felt so bad for her. I quite like her after she and Verden married.

Verden is an odd fellow no doubt about it and still loved is first wife Lady Ligeia (Shepherd) very much - yet he did move forward in his life to marry Lady Rowena. His strangeness is the sway that Lady Ligeia holds over him even after her death.

***************Spoiler***************
As far a Verden struggling with the flashing back and forth of the two women - we are witnessing what Verden saw as Ligeia's spirit was entering into Rowena's body remember that Ligeia's body was burned. In the end it IS Ligeia in the body of Rowena traveling away with Christopher. It is obvious when you hear the voice and the look on her face. That is what is suppose to happen: Ligeia's spirit/ghost is suppose to enter into Rowena's body in the end. 

When it comes to that creepy cat - that is a reference to The Black Cat I believe. I've noticed references to other Poe's work in the other Price/Poe as well. I loved this added touch -- I also think that maybe it was Ligeia's spirit in the cat - why do you think that cat was so mean to Rowena? She even gouged  out Verden's eyes before entering into Rowena's body.
***************************************

All in all a good Poe film adaption - I enjoyed it! OH and that dream sequence with Rowena is haunting!!


8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment