Monday, December 15, 2014

Pit and the Pendulum (1961)

Terrific Mystery-Horror Classic



Edgar Allan Poe's 'The Pit and the Pendulum' - it's been a long time since I have seen it - I recalled bits and pieces of the film and remembered it was good, then I re-watched the film recently and I have to say "It really is a terrific mystery-horror classic!" It's even better than I recalled it to be.

Vincent Price is outstanding (as usual) as Nicholas Medina - the
tormented soul who witnessed the fact his parents had a dark secret as a child of 10. I cannot say more or I will ruin the film for first time viewers.

I must mention the costuming, sets and over all atmosphere - they all are gorgeous! The film feels like a Gothic period piece as it should. 

The movie is well worth watching if you enjoy Price's films, Poe's stories/poems and a good classic mystery-horror.

What an ending! What I recalled most vividly about the movie was in fact the pit and the pendulum. That pendulum is unforgettable!!

9.5/10



No comments:

Post a Comment