Wednesday, December 17, 2014

The Comedy of Terrors (1963)

A Good Dark Comedy




It's been a long time since I have watched this film - all I remembered was that I liked it - then I re-watched the film recently and I have to say this really is a good dark comedy.

Price is quite humorous as the drunken undertaker Waldo Trumbull along with his lock-picking side kick Felix Gillie played by Lorre. Price and Lorre prove to the viewers they are quite the comedy duo.

Jameson plays Amaryllis Trumbull the wife of the staggering drunk Waldo. She will either have you laughing or irritated  with her opera singing!

Karloff has a way of stealing the scenes as Amos Hinchley. Karloff is quite good in this comedy - he proves he could have done comedy just as well as horror. A great performance by Karloff.

And poor Mr. John F. Black he is a man that cannot die - I don't know to feel sorry for him being supposedly dead over and over or to feel happy for him that he is still alive. LOL -- Rathbone plays Black quite well.

Yes if you like older dark comedies then you are sure to enjoy this film. For a fun double feature: I would recommend The Raven (1963) to watch with The Comedy of Terrors (1963)... both movies are dark comedies and star the threesome Price, Karloff and Lorre.

9/10



No comments:

Post a Comment