Saturday, February 6, 2016

Sixteen Fathoms Deep (1934)

Good Early Role For Chaney


Joe Bethel (Chaney) is a sponge diver who has a fishing boat and a lovely girlfriend named Rosita. Theo Savanis is the richest man in town and always gets what he wants and what he wants is Joe's boat and girlfriend. Savanis will do whatever it takes to acquire both the girl and boat.

This is a film that surprised me - I was expecting it to be kinda cute but a bit on the boring side is when I popped it into the player but the movie surprised me because it's an interesting little flick. I'll admit I watched this film for Chaney but the story and other actors/characters were good enough that they caught my interest as much as Chaney did. I would have liked this movie Chaney or no Chaney.

This 1934 film is not to be confused with the 1948 "16 Fathoms Deep" which also stars Lon Chaney Jr but puts Chaney in the role of the antagonist.


8.5/10




No comments:

Post a Comment